<property name="ivy.install.version" value="2.0.0-beta1"> </property>And that 2.0.0-beta1 has a bug in it that means that chain resolvers don't work. Once I updated the
ivy.install.versionproperty to the latest version (
2.0.0at the time) it worked fine. This is still a problem with the tutorials, so be aware. Since then I've needed to start using Hibernate in my application so I thought adding it would be easy as it's one of the most widely used Java packages. Err, no. After finding Hibernate in RoundUp easily enough (the latest ibibio version is really old), my build hung for some time, apparently unpacking a file, and then went totally exception-tastic on me.
[ivy:cachepath] [ivy:cachepath] download.1.N65558: [ivy:cachepath] [ivy:cachepath] [get] Getting: file://C:/DOCUME~1/Jim/LOCALS~1/Temp//jta-1_1-classes.zip [ivy:cachepath] [ivy:cachepath] [get] To: C:\Documents and Settings\Jim\.ivy2\packager\cache\jta-1_1-classes.zip [ivy:cachepath] [ivy:cachepath] [get] Error getting file://C:/DOCUME~1/Jim/LOCALS~1/Temp//jta-1_1-classes.zip to C:\Documents and Settings\Jim\.ivy2\packager\cache\jta-1_1-classes.zip [ivy:cachepath] [ivy:cachepath] C:\Documents and Settings\Jim\.ivy2\packager\build\javax.transaction\jta\1.1\build.xml:53: The following error occurred while executing this line: [ivy:cachepath] C:\Documents and Settings\Jim\.ivy2\packager\build\javax.transaction\jta\1.1\packager-output.xml:28: java.net.UnknownHostException: C [ivy:cachepath] at org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper.addLocationToBuildException(ProjectHelper.java:541) [ivy:cachepath] at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:418) [ivy:cachepath] at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:288) [ivy:cachepath] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) [ivy:cachepath] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) [ivy:cachepath] at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)and another ten pages of related stuff which I'll spare you. There was clearly some problem in downloading the JTA 1.1 classes, which are a dependency of Hibernate. I tried upgrading to the latest version of ivy - didn't work. I then assumed it was an ivy package file and went digging around. When I looked to see the temporary file it was trying to open it wasn't actually there. Hmm. Just before that it implies that it's downloading the file in question. Could it be deleting it? I eventually decided it must be a problem with the file in the repository, so I went looking for help there. That's when I came across this thread on the roundup mailing list archives, and then onto the Roundup discussion of manually downloaded software. It seems some of the software DOES NOT get downloaded automatically by ivy. Unfortunately, instead of giving you a nice error message telling you where to put it, you get a
java.net.UnknownHostException. It turns out you need to download the artifacts manually from the Sun website and put them in the temporary directory ivy uses to store package downloads. Once it did this it all works magically. Apparently the reason for this is that the download requires ticking a license agreement box which can't be done automatically. I hope this knowledge helps someone save some time. I think in the long run it'll probably mean me having a private repository for those artifacts, but for now I'll leave that for another day.